Monday 10 June 2013

Let the challenge begin...

I love books.  I have always loved books since I was at school, and so I was horrified when I started to teach 7.1 and discovered that not everyone was reading a book!  I was shocked, and so I asked them when it was that they had last read a book.  For many of the class, the answer was a very long time ago.  I wasn't done though.  I asked why my class were not reading at the moment.  The most common answer I received was "Books are boring".

Books are boring?!?!  I could not disagree more!  From the magic of a fantasy novel, to the intrigue of a crime thriller to the drama of a... well... drama, books are the most exciting thing in the world!  Why wait all year for summer blockbusters to come along when a book can paint the same picture in your mind, and there are literally thousands out there that none of us have read yet?

And so I have set 7.1 a challenge.  Each of them were asked to bring in a book that they have not read yet, and they all have.  We have six weeks remaining of this term.  They have that long to read their book, and review it.  I will post everyone's review on this blog so you can all see how they are doing.  In that time, I will attempt to read everyone in the class' books, and post reviews of my own.  If they as a class manage to read more than I do by the end of term, then I will reward them.

So wish me luck, or if you like, wish 7.1 luck.  And let the challenge begin...

Mr Freeman

1 comment: